Back to Projects

Product Design

Sweepr Interaction Editor

This was my first substantially sized project within Sweepr, helping lead beside the CPO and SVP of Customer Experience, from helping with the writing of the Business Requirements Document for the tool through to the final very UI. Our Oasis design system was fully tested with the design of this tool and helped us to grow and improve it. Our Head of UX put the tool through two rounds of user testing which was incredibly useful and changes were subsequently made prior to handover to development.

The Problem

It was no secret within the company that what we were trying to accomplish was nothing short of difficult. At Sweepr, we were conceptualizing a completely new way of self-service within the connected home and on top of that, a completely new way of achieving this through self-service in the form of, what we called: Interactions and more importantly a stage of that called Resolutions. A Resolution is a step-by-step guide into the troubleshooting and fixing of the problem a user is having in a connected space. Resolutions are exteremely technical and are essentially massive JSON files filled with logic. These Resolutions are made up of different step types. Our challenge was to make this experience of creating and editing Resolutions as user friendly as possible, so that an in-house designer or customer service manager could create or edit an existing Resolution.

fig 1. A resolution file map
fig 2. A piece of an onboarding tour before the creation of a step within a resolution

The Work

Once our business requirements were drawn up, we spent quite some time in the wireframe stage, as this concept was completely new, to not only our customers, but our team. We completed one round of user testing on our wireframe prototype which was completed in Figma. Our Head of UX compiled our results from the testing and from there we had to rethink our approach and head in a different direction. As we were mildly time pressured, we went ahead and designed for high fidelity as we were confident in our design decision from the result of user testing. After we designed the tool, we made a prototype and tested again externally, this time with a lot better results.

I really enjoyed the task of breaking down something quite technical and making it as user friendly as possible. The concept of a Resolution was something that we needed to make as clear as possible and we aided this by using various features. Educational tours were put in place throughout the product (see fig. 2), we made the Resolution file into a flow map (see fig. 1) which would be a sequence of steps and we put a preview mode within a device placeholder during the creation of a Resolution step (see fig.3).

fig.3 Resolution step creation with a preview device.

The Conclusion

This is a majorly complex product that is establishing a completely new concept for our users. I had to dig deep into the logical side of my brain to tackle the complex set of technicalities and user activties that needed to be establsihed and turn that into a sequential visual tool. Ultimately I was happy with the outcome of this project, and as a first attempt at a completely new concept, I believe the team and myself created a great foundation for the tool.